Bastarrika, Soto, Gonzalez & Somohano, L.L.P.

How can you bring your fiancé to the United States?

With Valentine’s Day approaching, love is in the air. It’s also all over store shelves, in the news and in conversations by those around you. But if you’re a United States citizen with a fiancé living overseas, this season of love may cause you to wonder how you can bring your fiancé to America and make being together your reality.

What steps do you need to take?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has set guidelines for bringing your fiancé to America through a K-1 visa.

The process may include background and security checks using your names, fingerprints and other biometric information and will involve U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS).

The steps to bring your fiancé to America include:

  • Petition for Alien Fiancé – Filing this application is the first thing you need to do. Once USCIS establishes your eligibility and recognizes your relationship with your fiancé, they will send your approval to the DOS National Visa Center (NVS).
  • Apply for K-1 nonimmigrant visa – NVS will forward your approved petition to the consulate or U.S. Embassy in your fiancé’s country. There, your fiancé will complete an interview and DOS will determine visa eligibility.
  • CBP inspection – Upon seeking admission to the U.S., an officer at your fiancé’s port of entry will make a decision about your fiancé’s entry into the country.
  • Get married – You have up to 90 days to get married once your fiancé is admitted into the U.S.

Upon completion of these steps, your spouse can apply for a Green Card.

Immigration is a complex matter. Although many steps are involved in the process of bringing your fiancé to America, you’ll probably feel it was worth the effort as you begin your life together.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Rated by Super Lawyers - Jose I. Bastarrika -
Rated by Super Lawyers - Jerard A. Gonzalez -
Rated by Super Lawyers - Rising Stars - Cheryl Lin -
Rated by Super Lawyers - Rising Stars - Erin L. Smith -
Rated by Super Lawyers - Rising Stars - John T. Somohano -
Email Us For A Response

Contact A Lawyer Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

3 Garret Mountain Plaza
Suite 302
Woodland Park, NJ 07424

Phone: 973-370-0997
Fax: 973-977-2021
Woodland Park Law Office Map

We've Moved! Please note our new address