Finding Creative Solutions To Your Legal Challenges

Divorce Settlements Are Not Set In Stone

Divorce settlements may seem to have long-term consequences, but as the years go by, changes in your life could justify modifying their terms. The process involves filing a motion to modify the order with the court that issued it. Terms that apply to physical or legal child custody, child support, visitation or alimony could potentially be altered.

With help from our attorneys, you can petition a court for new terms. At Bastarrika, Soto, Gonzalez & Somohano, L.L.P., we offer tenacious advocacy for individuals with family law concerns in and around Woodland Park, New Jersey, including New York City. You deserve to work with a legal advocate who will build the kind of trusting relationship that lasts for years, through the many circumstances that might require modification of a family law order.

When Does A Divorce Modification Make Sense?

In order to modify a court order, you will need to show the court that your circumstances have changed. The changes include your ability to pay support, your ability to exist on support payments as they are, and the status of your children. The court will consider issues such as:

  • Poor health or disability
  • Rising cost of living
  • Increase or decrease in income
  • Parental relocation
  • Ex-spouse’s cohabitation with new partner
  • Employment of spouse receiving support
  • Federal tax law changes
  • Change in children’s expenses

When your life changes, your divorce settlement should as well. This is why we work with you to ensure your settlement stays true to your current life situation.

Make Your Settlement Reflect Your Life

Life changes fast. Your divorce plan needs to reflect where you are today, not where you were when you first separated.

If your existing divorce settlement has left you struggling, we can help. Call us at 973-370-0997 or send a message through our website.