A Strong Team Of Legal Advocates
Jerard A. Gonzalez manages our Hackensack, New Jersey Office and is the partner responsible for the firm's immigration practice. Mr. Gonzalez has served as the Chair (2007-2009) and Vice Chair (2005-2007) of the New Jersey Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association ("AILA"). He previously served on the AILA National Liaison Committee to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration & Customs Enforcement (2009-2010). Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Gonzalez was partner with Meyner & Landis LLP, Newark & Hackensack, New Jersey where his practice concentrated exclusively in the areas of immigration and criminal law (2001-2009). Mr. Gonzalez is a former Assistant Bergen County Prosecutor (1993-1997) and a former Assistant District Counsel with the United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service in Newark, NJ (1998-2001). As Assistant District Counsel, Mr. Gonzalez handled asylum cases, criminal alien cases and complex cases of national security before the Executive Office for Immigration Review and the Federal District Court of New Jersey. Mr. Gonzalez also served as the Assistant Public Defender and Prosecutor for the Borough of Ridgefield, New Jersey.
Mr. Gonzalez' practice has a special emphasis on providing a defense in removal proceedings before the Executive Office for Immigration Review, the Board of Immigration Appeals and the Federal Courts. In addition to handling criminal cases, Mr. Gonzalez has successfully consulted with other defense counsel in negotiating pleas in criminal court that would permit the respective foreign national client to legally remain in the United States. Mr. Gonzalez has successfully vacated convictions of foreign nationals who were not properly apprised of the immigration consequences of their guilty pleas. Mr. Gonzalez has lectured on the immigration consequences of criminal activities on behalf of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, Federal Bar Association, the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education ("ICLE"), the New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association and the Bergen County Bar Association.
In addition to criminal & removal defense, Mr. Gonzalez represents victims of crimes and domestic violence. He also handles employment- based immigration and employer sanction matters.
Mr. Gonzalez was voted a 2006 Rising Star and a Super Lawyer in the area of Immigration Law by New Jersey Monthly Magazine consecutively since 2009. In 2013, Mr. Gonzalez was also listed as a top lawyer in Bergen County in the area of Criminal Law in (201) Magazine.
Mr. Gonzalez is fluent in Spanish.
- New Jersey, 1992
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
- Voted as a Rising Star
- Superlawyer in the area of Immigration Law by New Jersey Monthly Magazine
Honors and Awards
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. - 1992
- Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
- Major: Criminal Justice
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”)
- New Jersey Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association ("AILA"), , Chair, 2007 to 2009
- New Jersey Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association ("AILA"), , Vice Chair, 2005 to 2007
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association
- National Hispanic Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Hispanic Institute of Research and Development, Hackensack, New Jersey, Trustee
Past Employment Positions
- Meyner & Landis LLP, Newark, NJ, 2001 to 2009
- United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Newark, NJ, Assistant District Counsel, 1997 to 2001
- Bergen County, Assistant Prosecutor, 1994 to 1997
- Superior Court of New Jersey, Criminal Part, Bergen County, Hon. Arthur Minuskin, Law Clerk, 1992 to 1993
- Superior Court of New Jersey, Criminal Part, Bergen County, Hon. Sybil Moses, Law Clerk, 1992 to 1993
- Superior Court of New Jersey, Criminal Part, Bergen County, Hon. Charles DiGisi, Law Clerk, 1992 to 1993